Friday, April 27, 2012

Favorite Five Friday.... POP....

Last Friday, the whole family took the dogs on a walk and suddenly it became a blog brainstorming session and somehow I ended up thinking about writing a blog about POP.  Not soda pop but rather things that POP.  And believe it or not I have five favorites.  How this can be I don't know, but be prepared to be surprised.

1. Bubbles... I love blowing bubbles and I love watching my kids blow bubbles, the enchantment never ends.  When they were little they were just in awe over this soapy substance that could become a sphere full of air floating away.  And then the joy expands when they want you to blow them so that they can chase them.  Now I hear my boys yelling, "look how big my bubble is."  And of course it is always a competition.  Yep, bubbles are pretty cool but...

2. Bubble gum is cooler... the pink sticky mess stuck to your face after a really huge bubble.  Yes, I'm in my mid-thirties, and yes I think smacking bubble gum is a gross habit but sometimes..... I love to blow a big bubble and my kids LOVE to pop it! 

3.  Misconceptions... I secretly love it when misconceptions POP.  I love it when I learn new information that changes what I think on a subject.  I really like to eavesdrop on a good political debate.  I love to read on all sides of the subject so I don't want my Republican friends ex-communicating me for reading Bill Clinton's new book and I don't want my good Democrat- friends to ex-communicate me for reading something conservative.  It's especially fun to move new places and hear the misconceptions people have of where I came from or the misconceptions people have of where I have moved.  We are a crazy bunch with so many opinions about things we know nothing about and when those POP, watch out, we are moving towards humility and growing into intelligent thinking beings.  SWEET!

4.  Identity... Have you ever noticed that we each have an identity and at certain times that POPS?  At the time it is actually really painful.  But I love it because without the popping we are stuck.... you've seen the people that are 50 and dressing like they are still in high school.  Why... because they have never shed their identity.  I have been going through this popping again.  It seems to be a somewhat continual process, but it is this process that is moving me towards Christ. 

5. Corn...POPcorn... this could not be left out.  Actually, I'm getting ready to make some for my Friday night movie watching kids.  I love popcorn, its crunchy and salty and cheap and the perfect accompaniment to a great documentary or tonight, The Muppet movie.  So, here I go... time to POP!

No comments:

Post a Comment