Friday, April 15, 2011

For Miss Holly



For three years of our life and education, we had a treasure, Miss Holly.  She taught my kids to appreciate art and she deeply cared for their hearts.  So, its no surprise that art is still a favorite activity, even though we don't live near Miss Holly and we can't be a part of her wonderful art classes.

Today, was Art Friday.  We are choosing projects out of the Usborne Art Treasury and the Usborne Art Skills.  Today, we learned about Van Gogh and  painted a" swirly landscape".

It has to be said, that my 9 year old has referred to him, no less than ten times, as the artist who shot himself.  Who knew that learning about art would lead to a conversation on mental illness?  And yet, that is why we school the way we school, to allow life to intersect education, and allow our kids to make connections on their own.


We also educate with this phrase constantly in our minds, "Inspire, don't Require."  My kids chose art, because they were inspired by a wonderful woman.  They chose to look at art and talk about it, because someone taught them to see.  And they inspire me to get down and dirty with them.  Not only am I inspired by them, but also by watching other "mentors" inspire them.  Whether its been a choir director, a friends, or an art teacher, watching their eyes come alive when they are inspired towards greatness, teaches me how to inspire them.  So, thank you Miss Holly and a whole host of other wonderful mentors my children have had.  By mentoring them, you have mentored me.






No comments:

Post a Comment