Sunday, April 17, 2011

Because You Asked

I was asked by a friend what my top 10 books were, as I thought about it I had to expand the list to my top 25.  I have categorized the books (very loosely) according to the areas of my life that have been affected by these books.  As I thought about this, the dilemma I faced was that lots of these books have had an impact on many areas of my life, but for your benefit, I'm trying to put them into a box.  Also, this is sort of a brainstorming activity for me.  It is possible, that if asked next week, I would have a different list.  :)  Hopefully, you will find a new book by looking at my list and I would love to hear what some of your all time favorite books are.


Education/ Homeschooling
A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille
Leadership Education by Oliver DeMille
Home Education by Charlotte Mason
The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer
The Everyday Genius by Peter Kline

Parenting & Marriage
Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
Love and War by John and Stasi Eldredge
Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas
Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham

Spirituality
The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton
Instruments in a Redeemer's Hand by Paul David Tripp
The Sense of the Call by Marva Dawn
A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

Fiction
Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith
The Poisonwood bible by Barbara Kingsolver
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

Read Alouds (for books to make this list, I had to love it and the kids had to love it)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love this!!!!! Can't wait to read alot of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, "Grace Based Parenting." I've heard so many people reading it, recommending it... is it one I should buy or borrow?

    And, I'm so intrigued by "joy in the morning." i picked that up after borrowing "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" from Rachel, one of my top 5 fiction books probably. I did finish "joy in the morning," and I think I enjoyed it, but I didn't treasure it. I'm curious. What did you love about it?

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'll be adding lots of these to my list for sure...
    Hugs to you! -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela,

    I think Grace-based Parenting is worth owning, because you will go back to it time and time again. Another one I love and keep going back to is Romancing Your Child's Heart by Monte Swan. I totally identified with his parenting style and he's a Colorodoan so I also identified with his outdoorsy lifestyle.

    I think that probably reading Joy in the Morning, had a lot to do with timing for me. I totally identified with being a completely broke newly-wed. I really love all of Betty Smith's books. Maggie Now is also wonderful.

    What are you reading right now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahem, testing.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete