Thursday, November 29, 2012

You Can't Have It All...


For years I have preached this..... You Can't Have It All.  But as usual it seemed to only touch the things in my life I wanted it to.  I thought I did a pretty good job at being okay with not having it all. And then this morning I heard myself saying to myself..... I can't believe you didn't get a workout in, you should have gotten up earlier.  This is my perpetual conversation.... you should have gotten up earlier.  And then it occurred to me, I believe I can have it all.  My “all” looks different than it used to but once again I believe that I can have it all.  I believe that I can….

Workout
Read my Bible
Read enough literature to satisfy my longing
Homeschool my children
Take Mika to choir
Hang out with friends
Take trips to visit friends
Eat no processed food
Buy only organic ingredients
Have a clean house
Do fun projects with my kids
Do house projects
Not have dirty dishes on my counter
Teach my kids piano
Get enough sleep
Spend time with my husband
Love my husband
Have people over
Serve my church community
Write a blog
Have a hobby, maybe photography

And the list goes on…. I want it all… all good things but somehow all these good things aren’t fitting into my life.  The last couple of weeks I have found myself feeling like a pop bottle all shaken up ready for somebody to unscrew the lid and explode all over.  I may have to make some decisions, I might have to decide what it is I can have and let go of the stuff that just isn’t fitting. 

Last night I asked my very wise husband how I should handle this, how do I relieve the pressure, how do I let it go.  And he said speak about it, be real about your struggle, breathe it out and breathe God in.  So out it goes like a very large exhale, as if someone just knocked the wind out of me and in comes God with a gasp of longing, filling my lungs with new air.

No comments:

Post a Comment